Friday, March 15, 2013

Memories

  
   I remember coming home from school and smelling Mr. Clean and Bleach, and Pledge through out the house. I knew mom had been cleaning. She always had dinner on the table around the same time. My favorite meal mom made when I was growing up was pork chops, mashed potatoes, and corn. To this day when ever I eat that same meal, it reminds me of growing up. I watched mom work her entire life and raise two kids on one pay check. I watched her work multiple jobs and clean houses on the side. Looking back now I wonder when did she ever have time to sleep? When did she take time for herself? A lot of the time, she didn't. Once in a while she got a break when dad picked us up for his weekend, or when we would visit grandma. Even with mom working multiple jobs, as kids we never felt neglected. It was just the opposite. We had a roof over our head, clothes on our back, shoes on our feet, food on our table, and a wonderful mother who filled our house with love and laughter. She taught me that nothing gets handed to you in life. That you have to work hard for everything you want, and then you have to work to keep it. Sounds like a lot of work to me! We always had what we needed, even if mom had to do without. I will never forget the day when I realized that. Mom had just taken us school shopping and we had gotten new shoes. We didn't need new shoes, we had multiple pairs of shoes we didn't wear just because they were out of style. We wanted them because everyone else had new shoes and we didn't want to be made fun of. When I realized moms shoes had a hole in one of them, and they were both falling apart, I felt horrible! Thank you so much mom for making sacrifices for us. Thank you for making sure we ALWAYS had EVERYTHING we needed and most of what we wanted! I only hope that I can be half the mom to my kids that you have been to us!

   I remember my dad teaching me how to ride my bike at Highland Elementary School. I wanted so badly to give up, but he made me get back on every time I fell. He wouldn't let me quit, and soon.... I too could ride my bike without training wheels. I remember playing baseball with my dad, and Nintendo. I remember my cousin would come over and play Mario Brothers with my dad and they would always beat it. One morning we played a trick on my cousin when he wouldn't get up and folded him up inside the hide-a- bed couch. We used to play tricks on mom. He would have me hide and tell my mom that he couldn't find me (which as a mother is very terrifying not to be able to find your child) He would give me a signal and I would jump out and say boo! We didn't do that one too much because it always got him into trouble! (I can't imagine why?)
There were bad times as well, but I am choosing to only concentrate on the good times for now. The past is in the past, and yes it hurts, but we've been working on it for a while now. I feel like we have actually started to get closer again.

   I remember my grandma singing in the car on the way to and from church every Sunday morning.Victory in Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus, and any other song that may have gotten stuck in her head.  I miss her voice, and often think of her. When I was little she had pulled a trick on me, she told me that I had the power to blow out the red lights and change them to green. I spent half of my childhood thinking that I could change lights. It makes me laugh now realizing that she used it as a way to keep me busy in the car. When we would have a bad thunderstorm she would tell me that it was God rearranging his furniture again, or once in a while he was bowling and kept getting strikes. She taught me so much growing up. Never to give up, and always, always stand up for what you believe in. She taught me to put God first in my life, and then family and friends. To always obey God, and trust that his way was best. I saw her suffer time and time again, yet her faith in God never failed! Not even once! I remember Sunday dinner at grandma's house. Christmas dinner, Easter dinner, Thanksgiving dinner (and you better come hungry!!!). Sometimes I miss grandma so bad it hurts. I feel empty inside, torn apart, nauseated even. I know we all have our time to go. I know she is in a much better place. She is where she worked so hard her whole life to be. HEAVEN!!! Kneeling at the feet of Jesus! I know that one day I will see her again! Until then I will hold tight to the memories that I cherish so dearly!
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment