Monday, November 4, 2013

How to remove silly putty from clothes or blankets

Those of you who have children, especially boys know that they come with messes. Big messes! My boys can destroy a clean house in no time. However I wasn't expecting to wake up one day last week to find my son had fallen asleep with silly putty.

It all started at 7 a..m. My alarm went off, and I got up and made my way to my youngest child's room. His internal clock is set to 7 a.m. as well. I picked him up, changed his diaper, and together we made our way to my oldest sons room. "Good morning!" I said. "UGH  I don't want to get up!" my oldest said. He is like his father, and is NOT a morning person! I don't blame him. I'm not a morning person either, but being a parent, especially a mother you sort of find yourself in that role anyways. You have responsibilities such as getting your child to school on time. After a few minutes of me rubbing his back, he decided to get up. He rolled over and tried to take off the blanket, except the blanket didn't come off. Me being a mother, my first thought is that he was fooling around, trying to stay in bed a little bit longer. I walked over and tried to playfully pull the covers off him. It didn't come off. What in the world? Scratching my head...... as I pulled and pulled I noticed something blue was on his blanket, and it was sticky.
After examining it further I realized it was all over my sons pajamas, sheets, and comforter. My sons brand new pajamas, and his brand new comforter!! OH BOY!! I knew it was going to be a bad day!

After getting my son off to school, and telling him a million times on the way out the door.... "I can't believe you fell asleep playing with silly putty!" I began to try to pull off the silly putty with my fingers. HA HA!!! Not happening! So I posted on my facebook page asking for help from anyone who might know or who maybe was in my shoes once. The answers poured in. Have you tried this? Have you tried that? I began to try a number of different things. Rubbing alcohol was the first suggestion. While it did make it easier to remove, the smell was over powering (especially to me being pregnant, and having what my husband calls a "SUPER NOSE") still scraping with a butter knife and mumbling about how if he ever brought silly putty in this house ever again....... I decided to try something else. Another suggestion was WD-40 but there was the possibility of it leaving a grease stain. (Which it did by the way)

My cousin suggested using peroxide and dawn dish liquid on the stain. TA-DA!!! MAGIC!!! Where has this been all of my life? (Thanks Laura!) So I am happy to say that with WD-40 , a bit of elbow grease, and a butter knife you can get silly putty out of clothes, and with peroxide and dawn dish liquid you can remove the stain it leaves.
I also tried using goo gone. I really wish I hadn't. It made it even sticker and stretchy, a bigger mess! Another person suggested olive oil. It just made a sticky mess.
After further testing I found what worked best and I can't believe I didn't think of it before. Oxy clean!!!! I soaked the blanket in oxy clean over night and it scrubbed right off the next morning. WHEW! It's a lot of work, but I don't have to buy new pajamas, sheets, or a comforter!! Thank you to all who helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment