Thursday, July 23, 2015

Things I hear as a SAHM



First off for those of you who don't know the abbreviation SAHM, means Stay at home mom. I am very thankful I have been able to stay at home with my children. It wasn't always this way. When my first was born, I had to work around the time he was a year old. I felt like I was missing out on his life. My husband worked 1st shift, and I worked 2nd shift. We would see each other in passing and maybe have time for a kiss goodbye. By the time I got off work my husband already had my son in bed, and sometimes was already in bed himself.

Now I am in NO WAY against working mothers. I applaud you, because I have been there and I know that it's not easy. I understand you do what you do to pay the bills and support your family. Me being a stay at home mom was a decision myself and my husband came to together. We didn't want our son in daycare. Nothing against daycare (He's been there before) we just wanted him at home as much as possible in his younger years. Being a stay at home mom I have had to make sacrifices, but those sacrifices were my own choice. I want to stay at home with my children so I had to make changes in my life.

 When you tell someone you're a SAHM, sometimes they tend to look down on you. Why? Our job is just as important as yours. With that being said; Here is some of the things that I've heard from people when they find out I'm a SAHM. Most of these people are complete strangers.

  • What do you do all day? Well, I cook 3+ meals for my family, I also menu plan and stock up freezer meals, clean bathrooms, bedrooms, the living room at least 3+ times a day (toys always seem to grow legs and walk out here), wash dishes 3+ times a day, do laundry, get them dressed, teach my children about God and his love, teach them basic life skills such as how to clean (age appropriate of course), how to cook, we read books, I take them to the park, I run errands, take them to soccer,  basketball, and any other sport they sign up for, I get them ready for school, and pack their lunch, help with homework, kiss their boo boos to make them all better, change diapers, wash diaper laundry (cloth diaper), potty train, organize, coupon, grocery shopping, I sweep the floor after every meal because my kids feed the floor and I can't stand to leave the crumbs, I give them a bath (oldest is able to do this alone, however I bathe the little guys), put them in pajamas, brush their teeth 2x a day, tuck them in, kiss them goodnight, and fall into bed exhausted just to wake up the next day and do it all over again. 
  • What do you mean you're a stay at home mom? You don't work? Well read above and tell me that's not work.
  • I would go INSANE!!! I'm sorry to hear that. There are days that my kids DRIVE ME INSANE!!! However I would never change a moment of it. I love my kids very much and they grow up way too fast. Some day they won't be here driving me insane, so while they are, I want to make the best of it. 
  • You're SO LUCKY to be able to stay home. Yes I am. Like I said before it's a decision my husband and myself came to together. We have made sacrifices. We don't have extra money to go on fancy vacations. We don't have extra "Play money" as my husband likes to call it, to go out and buy the latest game console, or cell phone. Our kids wear hand me downs that usually starts with the oldest and gets passed down. They do each have new clothes, but most of them are passed down. Even the oldest has worn hand me downs. We don't go out to eat a lot. It's probably healthier for us anyway, but we just don't have the extra money. 
  • Last but not least someone actually said to me "I wish I could be that lazy!" Excuse me? Follow me around for one day, and see if I'm a bit lazy. Ask anyone who knows me if I'm lazy. Sure I have the occasional day where I get to be lazy, but that's normally on a weekend when my husband takes the kids and lets me sleep in, or we decide to have a pajama day on the couch watching cartoons. 

Being a stay at home mom is one of the toughest jobs I've ever done. Yet it's the most rewarding. I don't get a paycheck, but I get hugs and kisses, and when my kids say "I love you mommy" it's totally worth it. I don't get sick days or personal days and vacations. At times I feel like I need a vacation, and working around the house and taking care of kids when you're sick is no picnic in the park. So please next time someone tells you they are a stay at home mom or dad, don't judge them and chalk it up to them being lazy and not wanting to work. Are you a stay at home parent? What are some of the things people have said to you?




No comments:

Post a Comment