Monday, July 27, 2015

When I was a kid vs kids today



Kids today have got it made. Technology has come so far, it's scary almost. They need to add something there is a calculator (I realize we had calculators when I was young, but think about how far even calculators have come), if they don't know an answer to a question there is Google. When we were little there was a library and the encyclopedia, or a dictionary. They almost don't even need to think anymore. Today's kids struggle with imagination. Technology is dumbing us.

When I was little we played outside, and I had to check in with my mom every 30 minutes. If I didn't check in with her, I was in big trouble and had to come inside for the night. We didn't have cell phones to call and say hey I'm going to be late. We weren't able to send a text. We had to pick up a phone and call from a friends house, or use a pay phone, and you'd better hope you had a quarter because if you called your mom collect it better be an emergency!

Saturday morning was for cartoons. Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear, etc.  We had a Nintendo that didn't have a save point. If you paused it you'd better hope it didn't freeze up because you had to start all over again. We had to blow in the cartridge and in the system to remove dust and dirt to get the game to read right. Remote controls had a cord that plugged into the Nintendo.

We had a walk man radio instead of an I-Pod. We had Dial-up internet instead of high speed. If you wanted to make a phone call you had to log off the internet. We read books instead of kindles, and I-Pads. Passing notes was our "texting". We had cassettes and VHS. I think I was a teenager when I saw my first CD and DVD. Blue Ray and high definition TV was unheard of. We had Corded phones and finally cordless phones. When I was a kid cell phones were something only lawyers had and they definitely were not as thin as today's cell phones. They didn't have smart phones with fancy apps. We had an answering machine not a voicemail box. There were busy signals. (We didn't get call waiting until I was a teen) There was no caller ID, you took a risk every time you answered the phone. We had a desk top computer, there were no fancy laptops or tablets.

If we wanted to go somewhere and needed directions we used a map, or simply stopped at a gas station to ask directions. We wrote letters and mailed them instead of writing an e-mail. The term "Playing with friends" use to mean actually going out to play with friends, either at their house or your own. Now it means you join their online game. What has changed since you were a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment