Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Happy Veterans Day

To any and all veterans today I would like to take a moment and express my deepest gratitude. Thank you! It's because of your bravery and your sacrifice that we live free today. I also want to thank the military families. I've been there and had my loved ones deployed and it's HARD! Thank you for your sacrifice as well. You too play a very important roll, for it is you who keeps things running back home while your loved one is deployed. It is you who takes the time to put together care packages, and write letters, and pray for the safety of your loved one.
To the veteran who is reading this, or to the loved one of a veteran who laid down their life protecting our country THANK YOU!
I am proud to be an American. Our country may have it's fair share of issues, but we live FREE! Let those words sink in. We have the freedoms that many do not. We have so many freedoms that we take for granted each and every day. So I urge you, not only today but anytime you see a soldier, Thank them for their service. Because freedom isn't free!
Some gave all and laid down their lives, freedom has costs many precious time with their families, missed birthdays, graduations, and some even miss the birth of their children. Long after they come home they deal with the effects of how war has changed them. Some are lucky to be able to put it behind them, but most come back with nightmares, mood swings, and so much more. They have to learn to live their lives with P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
Some are never the same again. They may have physical injuries that prevent them from walking, using both arms, talking, hearing, or even seeing. Take the time to say thank you and say it like you really mean it. Unless you've lived through it yourself, you really have no idea what it's like.

I'd like to introduce someone very special to me. My father retired Sargent First Class Shannon Gilley.
In the picture below he was only a Staff Sargent. This was taken during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
My dad served 26 1/2 years in the United States Army. His career began in the Army Reserves and National Guard, then transferred to active duty status. Some of his tours include:
  • Operation New Horizons
  • Task Force Bravo
  • Several Humanitarian Missions in Central America.
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003-2005.  
He served under the command of the 1st Infantry Division while in Iraq. He retired from Fort Knox, Kentucky June 12, 2006 Mike Co. 1st Cav. Armored Div.
Thank you for your service to our country dad. You make me very proud! Happy Veteran's Day!


With that being said. I hope each and everyone of you have a Happy Veterans Day! Show some respect and remember freedom isn't free. I am sharing a youtube video in honor of all the veterans. I do not own any rights to this song or video. Hope you enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! this is awesome hon. Thank you so much for posting and honoring our veterans and yes me too :). I love what you did and thanks for sharing the memories. Haven't seen that picture in years. love dad

    ReplyDelete