Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Our home school journey

And so it begins......

Last year at the end of the school year we decided to begin homeschooling our 3 boys. 
I have always wanted to home school. My husband was home schooled. I went to public school and I feel like my education was lacking. I feel like I was ripped off, because I was one of those students who needed the one on one instruction and in a public school setting you can't get that without a tutor. 
During the summer we decided to do a two week trial period to see if we thought home school would even be an option for us. The kids loved it, I loved it and so we decided to dive in. 


What next? 

I decided I needed to reach out to other parents who have home schooled their children and see what I needed to do to begin. I talked with the branch manager at my local library to see if there were any home school groups in my area. The library is a homeschooler's best friend. 
The branch manager was able to put me in touch with a lady whom I would swear was an angel. I will keep her name private. She pointed me in the right direction and lead me step by step through the beginning steps of everything I needed to know. My head was spinning, however she was there to explain it all. She even invited me over to her house to look through her curriculum and let me take 2 huge boxes home for FREE! She only asked that I pass along the blessing when I was finished with it. (Like I said before she was such an angel).

So how's it going?

It has taken us a long time to get the hang of things and get a routine going, but we finally have smooth days. There are days that I wonder what I've gotten myself into. Do I regret it? NEVER! When I decided to home school my children it was not a decision I just woke up and decided to do. I made a list of reasons why I wanted to home school. I thought each reason over and then went over that list with my husband.  We looked at all kinds of curriculum. We already had some (from my friend) but we have 3 boys so we needed curriculum for our 5th grader. 

Homeschooling 3 boys 5th grade, preschool and a 2 yr old who likes to do preschool as well sometimes, can be hard at times. Stay tuned for another post about how I home school multiple children that are on different levels or grades.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment