Monday, June 19, 2017

How I am saving money

Have you ever wondered how you can save more money? You might think I coupon but it doesn't seem like enough. I meal plan but I still am barely making it. I have compiled a list of different ways to save money. Some of them I have been doing for a while now and some of them I only recently found and have yet to try.

  • Bake your own bread. If you don't have a bread machine that's okay! I came across this amazing recipe from Stacy at Humorous homemaking. This is by far our FAVORITE bread recipe! You can find the recipe Here.  (I am not affiliated with Stacy just a HUGE fan!) 
  • Made homemade noodles. This is a long process but oh so worth it to me. The noodles I made were from a better homes and gardens recipe book. You can find the recipe Here.   (I am not affiliated with BHG)
  • You can make your own spaghetti sauce. This is one I have yet to try, but I am so excited to try it. I can not wait! Maybe I'll post about the experience.
  • homemade bagels (Look up Trina Holden on Instagram. You can find the recipe Here.)
  • Freezer meals. This goes along with meal prep and meal planning. However I believe it is vital to have a plan and stick to it (mostly..... with the occasional splurge.)
  • Homemade yogurt. I actually have some in the crock-pot as I am typing this.  I can not wait until it is done! YUMMY! You can find the recipe I used Here.
  • Cloth diapering. It's REALLY NOT THAT BAD! Cloth diapers have come a LONG way since our parents used them. Really you should check them out. Some of our favorites are Bum Genius, Best Bottoms, Alva baby and Grovia. 
  • Mama cloth. I have yet to try this but I can not wait to try. You can even find free patterns online to make your own! If you're handy with a sewing machine you can save even MORE money! 
  • Make your own cleaning supplies. You'd be surprised how far vinegar and baking soda will go. You can even make your own cleaning supplies with essential oils. (I personally use Eden's Garden Essential Oils. It is recommend that you do your homework before just mixing a bunch of oils together and trying to clean with them. Especially if you have little ones. Not all oils are safe around babies.)
  • Make your own detergent. It is not hard to make your own laundry detergent. You can even make your own stain remover. The best part is you can choose if you want a powder version or liquid, and most of them are safe for HE washers. 
  • Exercise at home. Gym memberships are EXPENSIVE! I know I just canceled ours. I haven't been able to go lately due to being so busy and I injured my knee. Now that it's healing I have been using my workout videos at home. Most of them I got at Dollar tree, or Wal-Mart. 
  • Coupon. As mentioned before couponing can save you money. However, when done properly it can help save even more money. Some places will let you stack coupons. Make sure you read each stores coupon policy before you try this. 
  • Gardening. Growing your own vegetable garden is a great way to save money on produce. Produce can be very expensive. 
  • Cook from scratch. Aside from baking bread and making noodles, there are many meals you can make from scratch. Not only is it cheaper, but you can control what you put into it so it can be healthier for you and your family. 
  • Hand wash clothes. Believe it or not even though I have a washer, I still hand wash clothes sometimes to help save money. Besides some garments actually say to hand wash. 
  • Hang your laundry out to dry. No I'm not talking about your undies. Please dry them inside your house. No body wants to see your bloomers blowing in the wind! However, hanging your towels out to dry or even some of your clothes can not only help save money, but it can help with stains too. Ask any cloth diapering mama!
  • Canning. Learning to can was intimidating for me at first. Once you get past the what if's and just use common sense and follow instructions it's not bad at all. It's a great way to stock up on produce when prices are low, or can produce from your very own garden. 
  • Sewing. As mentioned before if you know how to use a sewing machine you can save a lot of money. You can repair your clothes to make them last longer. You can even make clothes!
  • Making homemade beauty products. I actually have a few homemade body scrubs that I LOVE! Not only are they all natural but they smell amazing!
  • Make your own soap. I would love to learn to make my own soap. It is on my bucket-list.
  • Make your own butter. Another thing that is on my bucket-list. I want to learn how to make my own butter. Real butter is actually good for you believe it or not! 

We'd love to hear from you and see what your favorite ways to save money is. Even if it's something you'd like to try but haven't yet. Leave a comment and let us know. After all you might inspire someone else to try too!

Here are some other posts you may enjoy:

Mom's on a Budget                    

 Ways to exercise as a family

Ways to save money                  

 Date night on a budget

How to earn extra money for the holidays            

 At home date night ideas

Cheap or free family fun          

 How to freeze corn

Homemade baby food- Bananas


No comments:

Post a Comment